Saturday, February 13, 2010

Moo Cows...I don't eat you!


I've been a vegetarian for 3 years now. Living in Kansas, I knew I would face some criticism for my decision. I have been called many things by people who judge me for my diet - including unpatriotic because didn't you know the pilgrims and the Native Americans ate meat at the first Thanksgiving while holding hands and  singing Kumbaya - but my family and friends handled the news pretty well. Some rolled their eyes and figured it was just another cause I would lose interest in soon enough - a well educated assumption. Some offered to grill me a steak whenever I decided to rejoin the omnivores. But for the most part, after the initial questions, nothing else was said.

A few of my nearest and dearest have made the ultimate sacrifice, trying out vegetarianism for themselves. Last December, Jackie decided to make January her VegMonth. One day I got a text from her asking if going veg meant that she could eat milk duds & cookies for all three meals of the day. I told her of course it did & then decided I would have Cheetos & Tamarindo for lunch!

Happy Anniversary to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment