Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day, Birthday, Washington's Birthday, Easter, Earth Day, Arbor Day!

Jacob is a bit of a double whammy. Valentine's Day is February 14th and his birthday is February 15th.

I really wanted to surprise him with a quilt top for Heart Day and went to great lengths to hide the gift from him. I had the fabric was delivered to my office, smuggled it out of my office in my purse, worked on it all day while he was feeding, and tried to keep him away as much as possible.

The whole weekend was supposed to be mine to measure and cut and sew. My poor planning only allowed me two full days to put the whole thing together. Saturday was to be spent finalizing the pattern and cutting pieces. Sunday was to be spent laying out the pieces and sewing. Sunday morning I was right on schedule and had just started laying out the fabric, so imagine my surprise when I got a text message from him at 10:40 am saying that he was done feeding and on his way over. I panicked. "Wow, Russ doesn't have anything else for you to work on?" "Oh, well don't you have homework you could do at your place?" Rather than destroy the layout I was almost halfway done with and put the living room back together, I decided to let him see his gift early. He knocked on the door as I was talking to Jackie and I'm pretty sure she temporarily lost hearing as I yelled at him not to come in. After he took off his cow stank boots (with his eyes closed) we played a little game of 'imagination.' I told him to imagine it was two weeks in the future, Valentine's Day, and that he had a nice big present in his hands. He unwrapped it, and "here's your present."

Of course he loved what I had put together so far and wondered how I had time to do that much work...if only he knew what else I do while he's not around! ;) -normally it's watching insane amounts of dumb TV & cuddling with the cats-

Well, the entire process of creating a quilt is a little more costly than I had initially thought...so his Valentine's Day present has also become his birthday present and his President's Day present and maybe a few more holidays will get added to that by the time this baby's complete! But I think it's safe to say that he doesn't mind. I think the quilt has turned out pretty great so far...what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment