Saturday, February 27, 2010

Letting Go...

I'm new to the world of sewing & quilting & this past year, as I've stumbled my way into this hobby, there have been many surprises.

I was surprised at the amazing fabrics that are available. My grandmas both use similar fabrics in the projects they make so I was blown away at the variety that is available. Amy Butler, Heather Bailey, Anna Maria Horner, Heather Ross, Valori Wells, & all the others that I'm just now discovering...I can (& do) spend hours looking through fabrics online & am made fun of for finding yet another fabric I think is "awfully cute."

I was surprised how quickly the costs add up. The quilt top is just the tip of the iceberg. After the pretty part is done, there's the batting, the backing (though I love some backs as much as the fronts), the quilting, the binding.

I was surprised how attached I have felt to each quilt top I have made. Thankfully they are going to some of my VIPs so I'll get to visit them often. But how do people put so much thought into the fabric, the pattern, the quilting and then ship it off?

Last weekend I left three quilts with the quilter: my sister's, Jacob's, & mine. I miss them. Yeah, sure, I want their quilts done so they can have their gifts...but I really want mine back! It's still cold out & I want to snuggle up under it on the couch. But my quilts are numbers 16, 17, & 18 in line. I guess for now I'll just have to moon over my pictures & learn a little patience. Ha! We all know how much patience I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment