Saturday, January 2, 2010

Starving Non-Artist

I always thought that my dad's artistic genes were lost on me. It's not that I didn't try to find the artist within. My mom (who is quite creative in her own regards) encouraged each new project I dreamed up. Pottery classes with my best friend in elementary school, paintings that - if you squinted - turned out somewhat like I had imagined, jewelry made with whatever beads & threads I could find at the craft store, ceramics with my sister, & 5 years of playing the cello. I was marginally successful at some of these endeavors, but no activity ever really stuck. Hundreds of dollars of scrapbooking materials lay under my worktable with only two books partially completed, I have no idea where that little blue jewelry dish is, & one of my biggest regrets is that I quit the cello in high school.

After last winter, I realized that I needed something new in my life. For my 25th birthday I asked for a sewing machine - nothing fancy, something good for me to learn on. And so I started at the beginning. Step one: pull thread through the eye of the needle - how does anyone see that?! Step two: thread the bobbin - had to call a friend for help on that one. And I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "notions" are.

Several months later, here I am with a few bags, several pillowcases, a Christmas tree skirt, a cribbage bag, & two quilt tops under my belt. I am still going strong - still anxious to learn more - still falling asleep imagining all the fabrics I looked at that day & what I could create with them.   

I am always telling family & friends about new fabric & projects I am starting. Hopefully this blog can help them stay up to date on what I'm working on as well as what's going on in my oh-so-exciting life. Maybe it will also help me stick with this new creative outlet!

Holy cow, it's almost 1:30 & I haven't eaten lunch...better get on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment